Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Tuesday Masquerading as a Monday

It was a good long weekend. This week quality is yet unknown. Some good news, the weekend highlighted that my super-neurotic cat has warmed up to me, slightly. I had a visitor come for the weekend, and Spartacus' dislike of the house guest was pretty evident.

At this point, when I approach him, I usually get a wary look...

(I think the black and white one looks better, but the filled in one is his actual coloring...) Usually this looks means "Are you walking by, or are you going to try and pet me? You know I will run if you try and pet me..." This usually results in him skittering off somewhere else in the apartment and watching me warily again.

When my guest, arrived, however, Spart, realizing I was in the apartment and not at the door, bolted for his nearest known hiding place (at this point it's between my oven and kitchen wall)


After being approached by guest in this hiding place and realizing it was not secure, Spart endeavored to find harder to reach hiding places where he could safely bide his time. His ability to squeeze himself into tight spots was fairly impressive. First, he wedged himself behind my fridge, then, in the tiny space behind my bookshelf.


Now, we more or less left him alone, but guest's presence in my apartment clearly disturbed Spart. I didn't realize this until afterwards, but I believe guest's belongings taking up space on the couch was particularly offensive to the cat. I'm not sure if it's because Spart is used to my mess lying around (where guest has tidier habits), or if he simply didn't like foreign objects, but he clearly disliked the arrangement.


 Now, Spart does not normally spend time on the couch, so I didn't think this would be such an inconvenience. Upon guest's departure, however, Spart made it clear that a spot on the couch should be kept clear for him. A couple of times throughout the evening he would jump up on the couch, sit where guest's things were, look at me for about 5 minutes, and get back down and return to his usual sitting spot. I told guest that Spart missed him.

(I don't think Spartacus actually missed him).

I sense I was forgiven as Spart seemed to enjoy himself when I forced him to submit to being petted. After the initial wary look, he realized I was, in fact, intending to pet him, so he retreated to his spot between the stove and the wall. After an initial hiss, he was loving the head scratches. I dunno, at least he hasn't retreated behind the fridge/bookshelf again.
On a less interesting (to me) not cat related note, I've identified three of my running styles this weekend, which show you why, for the most part, I should not run places... ever.



All running must be made with appropriate sound effect.

End Communication.

No comments:

Post a Comment