So I've had a mouse issue for a little bit. I had been relatively successful with the trapping and removal of them until last night, around 3 AM, when I heard the tell-tale snap of the trap. As I got up to dispose of the remains, I realized this trap had not really gotten the whole mouse, just his little leg, so I had a terrified mouse running in circles around my cabinet, dragging the trap behind him. Though proud of my ability to do things on my own, a live, terrified, someone incapacitated mouse is a little beyond my expertise. So he remains there, trapped under a box, until I have some help removing him.
Yes, I do feel bad. No, I don't want him to suffer, but dammit, he shouldn't be in my apartment!
On a more amusing note, this whole escapade has thrown my cat into utter confusion. Spartacus has proven that not only does he not like to be pet or be bothered, but he is also a fairly incompetent hunter. Besides knowing the location of the mouse-trails, he hasn't really done anything. He just sort of sits and watches in a kind of dazed confusion. I believe he thinks they are down the drain in the sink, because that is where he most often perches to look.
Now, with the live trapped one, he is going bananas. It is in my cabinet, and he can hear it, but he can't see it. His solution has been to run back and forth across my apartment, yowling, stopping occasionally to stare at the cabinet until it makes a noise again.
If this weren't at 3 AM, I'm sure I would be much more amused.
I tried to calm him down with some treats, which ended up sitting in a pile in front of him as he sat down and looked dejected for a while.
Here's hoping I don't have any more small furry visitors for a bit.


No comments:
Post a Comment